In an effort to help you make informed decisions during the General Election, ABC Action News has reached out to dozens of candidates running for office. The following statements have been submitted to ABC Action News by the candidate. Every candidate was given the same set of questions. These are their responses in his/her own words.
Name: Gwen Myers
Office: Hillsborough County Board of Commissioners, District 3
- In the USF area, managed community revitalization including building Sheriff’s substation & Community Development Center (CDC).
- In Progress Village, managed flood drainage, housing renovation, neighborhood retail & clean-ups.
- Designed, managed & promoted program for first time home buyers in Hillsborough County.
- Supervisor in Hillsborough County Indigent Health Care Program ∙ Supervised contracts for compliance with federal & state requirements for housing programs.
- In Grant & Orient Park, managed the building of community centers & flooring issues.
- Represented Hillsborough County in community engagement meetings to listen to & address citizens concerns.
Why should voters vote for you?
- Qualified by Petition…. “It’s About The People”
- Addressing three key issues that are important to voters. 1) Transportation 2) Affordable Housing and 3) Healthcare. ∙ Spoke on behalf of All for Transportation (AFT) ballot issue to fund transportation & transit needs.
- I know what it means to serve the public and be a public servant.
If elected, what are your top priorities?
1) Improve Transportation, Transit & Infrastructure
2) Affordable Housing
What are three key messages of your campaign?
1) Transit – Expanding and increasing transit options like better bus service, rail on our CSX lines, dedicated bus rapid transit service, and Ferry service.
2) Affordable Housing – Ensuring everyone can find an affordable and decent home by protecting and growing the $10 million affordable housing funds.
3) Healthcare – Providing access to healthcare and being prepared to lead through the COVID-19 public health crisis.
What areas of public policy are you personally passionate about?
2) Affordable Housing
As it relates to the role you are seeking, how has that governmental body handled the Covid-19 pandemic? What would you do differently/the same in handling both the public health risk and the economic recovery?
The governmental body did an outstanding job of keeping the community informed on COVID-19 updates and what the residents needed to do including testing and wearing a mask. I did not like the governmental body behavior towards each other…city or county for controlling purposes.
I will used every available dollar to help continue to assist county residents of Tampa, Plant City and Temple Terrace and unincorporated county who have seen a reduction in loss of wages from layoff or lessoning of hours due to COVID-19 in paying utilities’ bills, rent, and mortgage payments based on eligibility and continue to make testing sites available to county residents.
I would present a recommendation to create a program to assist landlords. Many landlords have complained during COVID-19 that tenants had rent money, but did not pay their rent to landlords as required.
Continue to offer financial assistance to small businesses due to COVID 19 financial losses.
In the role you are seeking, what will you do to address issues of racism and inequality?
I don’t want to continue to discuss racism and inequality issues. I have lived in Tampa all of my life. It’s time to take action on all of the studies and recommendations from previous years. The studies and recommendations have resulted in very little changes. Today, America is hurting with all of the racial discrimination we have witnessed over the years. It’s time for America to change its racial discrimination practices toward black people.
What motivates you to run for public office?
I have a passion for helping people address the county’s urgent issues….transportation, affordable housing and healthcare. People come into county government for needed social services. That what I have done my entire career….assist people who are in need of social services, housing and healthcare.