Social distancing matters. Here is how to do it and how it can help curb the COVID-19 pandemic.
Indiana will be moving to Stage 5, the final phase of COVID-19 reopening, on Saturday, Gov. Eric Holcomb announced Wednesday.
The face mask mandate is still in effect. Holcomb extended the order through Oct. 17.
Stage 5 was originally set to begin July 4, but Stage 4.5 was created in its place. In Wednesday’s press conference, Holcomb said steadily improving COVID-19 numbers made moving to the fifth and final stage possible.
In the new stage, businesses, restaurants, bars, nightclubs and other services can operate at full capacity. Here’s more information on the Stage 5 guidelines:
Stage 5: Indiana to move to Stage 5 of coronavirus reopening Saturday
Capacity limits on businesses and services
In Stage 4.5, businesses were limited to 50-75%. In Stage 5, the following can operate at full capacity:
- Bars, nightclubs
- Personal services (hair, nails, etc.)
- Gyms, fitness centers, workout facilities
- Malls, retail, commercial businesses
- Amusement parks, water parks, like facilities
- Cultural, entertainment and tourism sites (museums, zoos, aquariums, etc.)
- Sports venues
- Pari-mutuel horse racing, county/state fair racing
- Raceway events
To see the original list of guidelines for Stage 5, click here.
Face mask mandate is still in effect
Gov. Holcomb extended the mask mandate through Oct. 17.
Face masks are required for individuals 8 years and up in indoor public spaces, while using public transportation and outdoors when social distancing is not possible.
Masks on: Indiana’s mask mandate extended again as Indiana moves to next phase of reopening
Other changes with Stage 5
Under Stage 5, the following changes are now in effect from previous stages:
- Remote work is now optional
- State, county and local government facilities can resume normal operations
- Outdoor and indoor visitation opportunities required at assisted living, nursing homes
- Adult day care services have resumed
- Limits on the size of social gatherings is to be determined
See a map of COVID-19 cases in Indiana here
Map isn’t loading? Click here.
Watch Gov. Eric Holcomb’s COVID-19 press conference from Wednesday here
Daniella Medina is a digital producer for the USA TODAY Network. You can reach her at [email protected] or on Twitter @danimedinanews.
Read or Share this story: https://www.courierpress.com/story/news/2020/09/23/covid-19-indiana-governor-eric-holcomb-stage-5-whats-reopening/3509208001/