Thursday, October 08, 2020
View Larger +
A new video by candidate Barbara Ann Fenton-Fung captures excerpts from Speaker of the House Nick Mattiello’s testimony Thursday in the political corruption trial of Mattiello’s former consultant Jeff Britt.
Mattiello repeatedly said under oath that he could not remember key facts relating to the 2016 campaign as it related to campaign expenses, Britt’s role in the campaign, and especially a critical mailer that the state said was illegally coordinated by Britt on behalf of the Mattiello campaign.
Day Four of Trial
Attorney General Peter Neronha announced on October 18, 2019, that Mattiello’s political consultant Britt was indicted by a State Grand Jury on two charges — felony money laundering and a misdemeanor charge of making a prohibited campaign contribution.
The felony money laundering charge carries a sentence of up to 20 years.
Mattiello was a witness for the defense.
“The Speaker seemed to not recall a lot of what Jeff Britt did, but obviously what he did remember he liked since he gave Britt a $10,000 bonus and tried to rehire him in 2018,” said Fenton-Fung.
Mattiello’s campaign did not respond to request for comment on the video compilation at the time of publication.
UPDATED 9:33 PM
Editor’s note: Fenton-Fung is not related to GoLocal CEO and co-founder Josh Fenton.
- UPDATED: Barbara Ann Fenton-Fung to Challenge Speaker Nick Mattiello for House Seat
- 20 to Watch in RI in 2020: Barbara Ann Fenton-Fung
- NEW: Fenton-Fung Tests Positive for Coronavirus
- Costco Proposal in Cranston Gets Public Review, Fenton-Fung Opposes Project Location
- “Mattiello’s Inner Circle is a Hodgepodge of Corruption,” Charges Fenton-Fung
- Mail Battle: Mattiello Promotes Accomplishments, Fenton-Fung Highlights Speaker’s Ties to Corruption
- Fenton-Fung Slams Mattiello on Campaign Payments in New Mailer
- Cranston Is RI’s Political Hotbed – Mattiello in Hot Seat, Brady Announces, Mayor’s Race Heats Up
- Mattiello Challenged After Saying “I Support Black Lives Matter”
- Speaker Mattiello Continues to Stumble When Discussing Issues of Race, Fenton Fung Slams Him
- Speaker Mattiello Emerges As Factor in Cranston Mayor’s Race
- Neronha Says AG Can’t Represent Filippi, Pay Costs, or Provide Advice in JCLS, Mattiello Matters
- 20 Top Political RI Moneymakers: Surprise Shekarchi Edges Out Mattiello
- “Mattiello: The King of Rhode Island” — Premiere Feature of GoLocal Films to Debut in October
- In December, Mattiello Sent Message to Convention Center Via Skenyon at Costantino’s Restaurant
- NEW: Former Female RI Convention Center Exec, Focal Point of Mattiello Controversy, Subpoenaed
- Britt’s Defense Team Names Mattiello, Skenyon, 15 Others Including Media & GOP Chair as Witnesses
- Mattiello and Convention Center Grand Jury As Well As Others Delayed for One Month By Court’s Order
- Trifecta: Britt’s Trial and Speaker Mattiello’s Race Could Collide, Grand Jury Still Looming
- Key Figure in Mattiello Consultant Britt’s Corruption Trial — Company Paid Thousands By Speaker
- 5 Things to Know About Mattiello Consultant Jeff Britt’s Trial
- Raimondo, Who Campaigned For Fox, Plugs For Mattiello – After Saying He “Didn’t Follow The Rules”
- Britt Trial Unveils How Mattiello Campaign Used Private Investigator to Track Opponent
- “The King of Rhode Island – Nick Mattiello in Lockdown” – A GoLocal Film
- Mattiello and Top Operatives Receive Subpoenas to Appear in Upcoming Britt Trial
- Cranston Democratic Mayoral Candidate Bucci’s Husband Has Ties to Paolino and Mattiello
- Democratic Candidate for Mayor of Cranston Refuses to Endorse Speaker Mattiello
- All-Star Witnesses: Mattiello, Skenyon and Jerzyk Expected to Testify in Britt Trial on Thursday